Book Nowbook-now
arrow-small-back Back to blog

Are you ready for race day? The importance of question practice

Studies have proven that question practice is an effective way to improve your knowledge and ability to recall information. At IBTC we believe that the number of times you test yourself and the variety in your question practice is the real key to exam success.
For best results you need various levels of question practice during your study process and the more you do, the better your chances of passing first time. As a result, we encourage our students to spend 60% of their time studying and the remaining 40% practicing.

Preparing for exams is similar to training for a half marathon. Nobody attempts to run 22km without serious preparation beforehand. You'll start with practice runs, weight training, uphill climbs and slowly build from there. From regular focused practice you will progress to advanced training. When it comes to your studies, IBTC applies the same principles. The practice-and-apply questions, which you'll find in your Study Text, are similar to lacing your running shoes and doing a slow 8km three times a week. They are simply designed to check your content knowledge, letting you know whether you are ready to move onto the next chapter. 
When the 8km is no longer a struggle then it's time to push yourself to a solid 15km. This is similar to the more advanced Progress Tests. These tests are closer to exam standard but cover less content than an actual exam. They are literally the halfway mark between practice-and-apply questions and Mock Exams. You're getting there, race day is approaching, and you can almost see the finish line.
Now comes the last stretch, the final push, it's time to take your 15km's to the winning 22km. It's time for the Mock Exam. The Mock Exam is very similar to your final exam. The style and type of questions asked are the same as what you will find in your final. They are the rehearsal to race day.

To get the best out of your Mock Exam you need to approach it as if you're writing your actual exam. Create as close to an exam experience as possible, this includes timing yourself and keeping your books closed. Once done, compare your answers to the answers provided and carefully assess where you went wrong, similar to what you would do after a practice run. Did you pace yourself correctly?

Do you need to work on the up-hills or train more in going the distance? The answers to these questions will give you excellent guidance into what areas need more work, letting you know what chapters to focus on. IBTC lecturer, Ivan Donson, explains it best when saying, "It is imperative that students attempt question practice as it will give them a very good gauge of how much more preparation is required before they tackle the exam."
Whether you're preparing for a marathon or an exam it takes commitment and focus and, at times, it's hard to know when you've done enough. IBTC is here for you and we want you to win your race. Contact Robert today at and we'll send you a free mock exam. There is no reason to run alone.

Also want to write at an IBTC exam centre?
Exam administrators at our Sandton and Cape Town centres are available to assist you anytime between 09:00 and 17:00 from Monday to Friday. Alternativity, here is how to book IBTC as your exam centre:

CIMA: When booking your exam on your mycima account, you must manually type International Business Training College when you are requested to ‘find test centre near’. You can then select the IBTC campus nearest to you.

ACCA: To use our exam centre, you simply need to call Robert on 0861 111 411 for available dates and times.

ICB: When booking your exam on your ICB student portal, you simply select IBTC from the list that will be given to you automatically.